- Dish type
- Noodle soups
- Prawn noodle soup
This is a quick and easy noodle soup, based on the classic Vietnames pho dish. Serve with lime wedges, fresh basil, peppers and beansprouts, if desired.
8 people made this
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 285g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 250ml fish stock
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 20 medium prawns, peeled and deveined
- 200g long rice noodles (rice vermicelli)
- 2 spring onions, chopped
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:35min
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and ginger; cook and stir 1 minute. Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the spinach is hot, about 3 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock, fish stock, hot pepper sauce and hoisin sauce. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once the soup reaches a simmer, stir in the prawns and noodles. Cover and cook 4 minutes, then stir in the spring onions and cook 5 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(11)
Reviews in English (10)
The flavor of this recipe is greatly improved by cooking the rice noodles separately. Boil them until just tender, rinse in cool water to get the excess starch off and to stop the cooking. Add them to the soup broth last and bring the broth back to temp and serve. I also put in a few dashes of Maggi seasoning or a TBs of powdered AuJus mix to give the chicken stock some added flavor dimension. The shrimp broth is a nice flavor rounder also.-11 May 2010
by Meredith M.
I made this for our weekly movie & dinner night. It went over well. I increased the servings to 8 and this and another dish fed 6 adults with some leftover. A little short on the broth at the end. I misread a bottle in my cupboard before I went shopping & so didn't have any hot pepper sauce. I substituted Vietnamese chili garlic sauce. It worked fine. Knorr makes shrimp bullion cubes, I found them at a local Asian grocery.-20 Dec 2010