- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Banana cake
- Banana bread
This is a classic banana bread with a few twists. It also happens to be vegan and nut-free as well! But I can assure you this doesn't compromise the taste - my non-allergic friends love it!
London, England, UK
4 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 1 loaf
- 280g plain spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 heaped teaspoons egg replacement powder (I like Orgran "No-Egg")
- 4 tablespoons rice milk (or other milk substitute)
- 8 tablespoons vegan margarine (I like pure sunflower)
- 125g agave nectar
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g dessicated coconut
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Grease your loaf tin with some of the vegan margarine on a piece of kitchen roll.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. In a small bowl, whisk the egg replacement powder and rice milk and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream the margarine using a whisk or electric mixer. Then beat in the agave nectar, mashed bananas, and thickened egg replacement mixture.
- Stir this into the flour mixture using a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Fold in the vanilla and coconut and pour into the greased loaf tin.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown on top. The toothpick test really doesn’t work with banana bread as it stays very gloopy!
Instead of coconut, add chopped walnuts or pecans, or bits of dark chocolate.