- Dish type
- Starters with cheese
A very tasty cheese straw recipe made with wholemeal and buckwheat flour for a rustic taste and texture. You can use one cheese or a mixture of both.
16 people made this
- 75g buckwheat flour
- 75g plain flour
- 75g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 115g cold butter, diced
- 70g Cheddar or Gouda cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons ice-cold water
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:10min ›Extra time:30min freezing › Ready in:1hr5min
- Process all three flours, salt, rosemary and diced butter in a food processor until crumbly.
- Add 4 tablespoons ice-cold water until the dough forms a ball (add another 1-2 tablespoons if needed, but start with 4 tablespoons). Stir in the cheese and wrap the dough in cling film. Put into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Line a baking tray with baking parchment or a baking mat.
- Roll the dough on a well floured work surface into a large rectangle about 15x30cm. Cut into 30 thin strips and roll into round sticks.
- Lay the cheese straws on the baking tray 1cm apart from each other and bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until they are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.