The citrus marinade used in this recipe is made with sprigs of fresh marjoram. One or two hours of marinating is all that is required: a longer period affects the texture of the fish.
12 people made this
- 7 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 dessertspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 800g (1 3/4 lb) halibut steaks
- 4 sprigs fresh marjoram, for garnish
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:25min
- Mix together grapefruit juice, olive oil, 1 dessertspoon marjoram, salt and pepper in a shallow glass dish. Add fish, turn once to coat both sides, then cover. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, turning once or twice.
- Preheat barbecue.
- Reserve marinade, and place fish in lightly oiled wire basket. Place fish 4 to 6 inches above hot coals. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once and brushing twice with reserved marinade, until steaks are barely opaque in thickest part. Arrange on a platter, and garnish with sprigs of marjoram.
Choose Pacific halibut for the most sustainably sourced choice.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(10)
Reviews in English (9)
I changed the fish to dover sole and found that the marinade, even after two hours had not really penetrated enough to have the the flavour impact I would like after 90 minutes. So, definitely take care to baste the fish with the marinade.-06 Jun 2015
This is a very good, light marinade.-21 Jul 2008
We really enjoyed this halibut and recommend it highly. We marinated 1 1/2 hours.-21 Jul 2008