- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Fruit cake
This cake may take 4 hours to bake, but it's really worth it. It's dense and packed full of fruity goodness. Enjoy as is or cover with a layer of icing.
78 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 1 cake
- 375ml ginger ale
- 1.5kg mixed dried fruit
- 300g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 565g plain flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brandy, sherry or whisky
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:4hr ›Extra time:30min cooling › Ready in:5hr
- Bring dried fruit and ginger ale to the boil for 1 minute. Let cool a little, before adding butter. Beat in when melted.
- Cool a little more, then add sugar and stir. Cool until at room temperature.
- Stir in brandy. Add beaten eggs alternately with flour.
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas 2 1/2. Grease and line a round baking tin with baking parchment.
- Pour into prepared tin. Decorate with additional nuts and cherries, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 2 hours. Reduce heat to 140 C / Gas 1 and bake for an additional 2 hours.
- The cake is done when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (2)
This recipe looks good but can you pleas advise what size baking tin to use?-18 Nov 2011
A really lovely cake and so easy-02 Dec 2012