- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Filo pastry
This wonderful pastry is known as bougatsa and is a popular breakfast treat throughout Greece. Delish!
11 people made this
- 1 litre milk
- rind of 1 lemon, cut into strips
- 175g semolina
- 400g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 225g butter, melted
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:1hr
- Warm the milk and lemon rind in a saucepan. Stir in semolina and continue stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture is thoroughly blended and thickened.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla until light. Slowly add to the semolina mixture in the pan, whisking over medium-low heat until it thickens and reaches a custard consistency.
- Remove custard from heat, discard lemon rind and pour custard into a bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then cover with clingfilm so that it is touching the surface of the custard (this prevents a skin from forming). Transfer to the fridge to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Lightly brush butter over a baking tin slightly smaller than the size of the filo sheets. Line the bottom of the tin with 8 sheets of filo, brushing each sheet well with the melted butter before laying it in the tin.
- Add the cooled custard filling. Fold the excess filo that overlaps the tin in over the custard. Top with the remaining filo, again brushing each with butter. Use a knife to trim the top sheets to the size of the tin.
- Spray the top lightly with water just before transferring to the oven. Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon while hot. Cut into slices and serve.